Saturday 27 July 2013

Rice Semia Upma

I always like rice base dishes, like rice semolina upma, rice flour rotti or even rice semia or vermicelli.
I used do this rice vermicelli like any other upma with onion and vegetables, until I tasted in a udupi restaurant.
It is on the highway between Bangalore and Mysore. I don't remember the name of the restaurant as it was very long back, when I was in India and used to travel frequently from Bangalore to Mysore.
But When I tasted it for the first time, my taste buds just opened up so instantly, even the third plate was not enough to satisfy me.
After that every trip to Mysore Bangalore was incomplete without this upma.
After moving out of India, I used to crave for it and then decided to make it as the taste was still lingering in my mouth.
After making and tasting, I was happy as it tasted almost the same.
My affinity towards udupi cuisine might be because of the food I used to have in sudha aunty's kitchen.
I was soo used to it and loved it every time. Though in my family, they never use coconut oil in their cooking, I love the taste and aroma of it.
Now coming to the recipe,

Ingredients:
Rice Vermicelli - 250 grams,
Salt,
Sugar - 1 tablespoon,
Lemon juice - 1 table spoon,
Coconut grated - 2 tablespoon,
Oil - 2 teaspoon,
Mustard - 1 teaspoon,
Asafoetida - a pinch,
Urad dal - 1 teaspoon,
Cashew - 15-20 broken,
Green chillies - 5-6 chopped finely,
Curry leaves - 10-15 leaves,
Coriander - 1 tablespoon chopped finely,
Coconut oil - 1 tablespoon.



Method:
Cook rice vermicelli in lot of boiling water with enough salt and a teaspoon of oil.
Once vermicelli is cooked, drain water and pour enough cold water immediately to stop further cooking.
In a broad pan heat oil, add mustard and hing.
Once the mustard splutters, add urad dal and cashew.
Once dal turns pink, add green chillies and curry leaves.
Remove from flame and add cooked vermicelli.
Mix gently, not to make the vermicelli mushy.
Adjust the salt, remember that salt was added while cooking the vermicelli.
Add sugar.
Now bring back to low heat and just warm it. Remove from heat.
Add coconut and chopped coriander and mix well.
Finally add coconut oil for that extra flavour and enjoy this wonderful rice vermicelli.

Note:
Coconut oil adds extra flavour and taste to the upma,  but it is completely up to your taste.
Again adding sugar is also completely up to your taste, but  I liked the sweet taste of the vermicelli.
You can serve this vermicelli upma with chutney of your choice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment