Tuesday 9 July 2013

Cumin Raita or Cumin Pachadi

I always love the flavour of cumin in food, may it be tempering or powder added to enhance the flavour of any dish or grinding it with other spices in a dish.
This particular yogurt based chutney is wonderful for those times, when your taste buds doesn't want you to eat spicy or masala food, but rather a mild tangy comforting food.
This is what my granny used to do the day after fasting, for morning breakfast, just to go as a side for almost anything...
My Granny(my dad's mom) was a fantastic cook and a great human being. I miss her and her food very much. You would have heard people saying I miss my mom's food, but for me I miss my granny's food, may it be a simple rasam or sambhar or the complicated adhirasam, trust me I have not found a single person who would cook anything even remotely closest to her food(honestly no one).
She was such a fantastic cook. Her kitchen used to be filled with aromas and so very clean, though she would cook on wood fire. I miss her and her food and her wonderful personality. Miss you paati.
Now coming to the recipe,

Ingredients:
Cumin - 1 fistful,
Urad dal - 1 tspn,
Red Chillies - 1,
Pepper - 1/2 tspn,
Curry leaves - 3-4 leaves,
Coconut grated - 1/2 cup,
Ghee - 1 tspn,
Sour Yogurt - 1/2 cup,
Salt.


Method:
In a pan heat ghee, except coconut, salt and yogurt , add rest of the ingredients to the pan and fry until dal is pink.
Finally add coconut and fry for few seconds and remove from heat.
Ground with salt to slightly course thick paste.
Before serving add yogurt and serve.
I also use this as a dip for veggies like cucumbers, carrots and so on, even to dip papads or any fried stuff.
Typically this is added with steamed rice and a bit of ghee, tastes heaven.

Note: You can add a bit of tamarind if the yogurt is not sour enough.
           Yogurt to be mildly sour not too sour.

No comments:

Post a Comment