Wednesday 8 July 2015

Eggless Tutti Fruitti Cake

To be honest I am not a big fan of tutti frutti cake..I like tutti frutti only in Bangalore-Mysore bakery style dil pasand.  But when, one of my friend invited for unplanned ladies lunch, then I wanted to take something with me to her lunch party.
Whenever I go for lunch or dinner to a friends place, I love to carry an eggless home baked cake for them.
All my friends love my bakes.
So when I searched my pantry I found this tutti frutti lying in the fridge for very long now. This turri frutti I got from one of the Indian stores here in London..they are not big pieces like what we get in India..but very tiny pieces..I am not very happy about, as you don't feel that big bite in your mouth..but I have to make do with these, when I run out my stock brought from India..Again even turri fruitti were not generous enough...so thought of adding other nuts like cashew and almond.
Then I thought of adding only tutti frutti  and broken cashew in the cake and to sprinkle generously sprinkle chopped almonds on top. Didn't add any raisins or other dry fruits.
Now again I wanted a dense cake so adding butter instead of oil.
Interestingly I had read somewhere, while surfing the blogs, that frothing up the yogurt with bi carbonate of soda and baking powder and then mixing the flour, makes the cake fluffier and gives nice texture to the cake.
So tried that method this time and was very happy with the results.
So lets bake a tutti fruitti cake!!!!!!

Ingredients:
Plain Flour/Maida - 1 and 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon,
Granulated Sugar - 1 cup,
Sour Yogurt - 1 cup,
Baking Powder - 1 and 1/2 teaspoon,
Bi Carbonate Soda - 1/2 teaspoon,
Melted butter - 1/2 cup,
Vanilla essence - 1 teaspoon,
Salt a pinch.
Tutti frutti - 3/4 cup(but I had a little less than 1/2 cup)
Broken Cashew - 1/2 cup,
Chopped Almonds - 3/4 cup.





Method:
Mix tutti frutti and broken cashew and add 1 teaspoon of plain flour to this mix and mix it well.
This is to ensure that the nuts don't sink to bottom while baking.
Separately dust chopped almonds with plain flour and keep aside.
Grease baking tray with butter or oil and line with parchment paper and keep aside.
Mean while preheat the oven at 170 degree celcius.
First mix yogurt and sugar and whisk well to make a smooth consistency.
Then add bi carbonate of soda and baking powder, whisk well and set aside for few minutes to froth'n up.
Meanwhile sieve plain flour to avoid  lumps.
Once the yogurt froths up to double quantity, add salt, vanilla essence and butter.
Gently mix, so the air bubbles formed, will not break.
Add the plain flour and gently fold.
Take care not to over mix otherwise the cake will sink and very become very dense,
Gently fold tutti frutti mix to the batter.
Pour the batter to the greased baking tin.
Generously sprinkle chopped almond on top and place it in the preheated oven to bake for 30-40 minutes..depending on your oven, mine took 45 minutes.
So keep an eye and check after 30 minutes.
A Skewer inserted should come out clean.
Take it out of the oven and keep in the pan for ten minutes.
Invert it on a wire rack and cool it completely.
Cut into desired  shapes.
Enjoy with tea or coffee!!!!!!!

Note:
If you dont want denser cake or  dont want to add butter, then you can add oil for lighter cake.
It would be 1/2 cup of odourless/flavourless oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment