Sunday 5 May 2013

okra in mustard and coconut curry

Okra is one of my favourite vegetables and this form of Okra, I wpuld love to hve everyday. 
This is one of my mother in law's best recipes.
I would like to post some of of my mother in law 'Janaki Samapth Kumaran' fool proof recipes and authentic in my 'mil's corner'.

She is a fantastic cook and a lady with wheels and super woman in multi tasking.

Some of her recipes I will be sharing in this corner.

The best I like and the first one is okra curry or simply 'gojju', or even 'Kayi sasive gojju'

Ingredients:
okra - 1/4 kilo(washed, patted dry and cut into 1 inch peices),
tamarind - 1 medium lemon size soaked in water,
jaggery- 1medium lemon size,
salt according to taste.

To grind,
coconut - 1 cup
mustard -1tspn
sesame seeds - 1tblspn
turmeric - 1/4 tspn
red chillies - spicy red chillies -5
                      kahsmiri red chillies - 5


Method:

Grind above to fine paste with water as required.

In a pan heat 1Tblspn oil, add 1 tspn mustard and allow to crackle and then add a pinch of hing and 1 sprig curry leaves and then add cut okra and fry in medium flame until okra is cooked and stickiness is gone and then add ground masal past and fry until it emits a nice aroma and the rawness of the masala is gone and then add tamarind juice salt and and jaggery and oil to medium thickness and serve hot with rice or chapati.

Note:
You can educe oil to 1 tspn and cook okra in tamarind juice i.e., add tamarind juice first and then add groun masala and salt and jaggery.
Do not make tamarind juice very watery as this will make the curry very runny and the curry will not blend well.
You can follow the same recipe for bitterguord, capsicum and brinjal.


                                         My Mother-in-law Mrs.Janaki Sampath Kumaran.
 



 

2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely MIL and her gojju recipe! Your MIL and her recipe reminds me of my lovely grandmom Saraswathamma and her divine cooking. My Ajji is the best cook in the world. She has a real passion for music and cooking. She's so darn good at both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nishka Nachappa thank you for your lovely comments...I think that generation were such a lovely people full of life and so talented...

    ReplyDelete